Cream of tartar is a fine white powder with many applications.
It is an acid and it is often used as a major component in baking powder, combined with baking soda to react when the mixture is moistened to ensure that baked goods will rise well.
Cream of tartar is used as a stabilizing agent and is added to beaten egg whites to increase their stability and volume. It is also sometimes added to candies or frostings to give them a creamier texture because it can help to prevent the crystallization of cooked sugar.
It is also a stabilizing ingredient in solid bubble bath bars – see recipe below…
1.5 cups Baking Soda
1.5 cups Cream of Tartar
1.5 cups Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (sls)
.75 cup Liquid Soap Concentrate
12ml Fragrance or Essential Oil
1. In a big bowl mix dry incredients slowly until there are no lumps and fully combined.
2. In a separate bowl mix liquid soap and fragrance.
3. Pour liquids into dry ingredients and mix well – start with a spatula then switch to your hands and knead together until fully incorporated.
4. Once the mixture is fully mixed spread out on the bench on a piece of baking paper. Cut into shapes.
5. Allow to sit and harden overnight. Wrap in air tight packaging.
To Use: Crumble under running bath water and enjoy!